♦ LL.B – First Class Honours, University of Colombo– 2003
♦ LL.M – Yale Law School – 2005
♦ PhD –Maastricht University – Pending, 2016
- Attorney-at-Law, Supreme Court of Sri Lanka, 2006
- CTHE and SEDA qualifications
Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, Staff Development Center, University of Colombo recognized by the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), UK, November 2007.
Certificate in Bioethics – Intensive Course on Bioethics conducted by the Forum for Research and Development (Sri Lanka) in collaboration with the Center for Study of Human Rights, University of Colombo, Kings College, University of London and the WHO, Geneva. August to October 2003.
♦ 2003-2004 – Public International Law and Environmental Law
♦ 2005-2006 – Law of Contract, Law of Delict
♦ 006-2008 – Land Law, Law of Delict, Environmental Law
♦ 2012-2015 – Public International Law, Humanitarian Law
2008-2012 – at Maastricht University, The Netherlands
♦ Introduction to Law
♦ Legal English
♦ Law and Society
2009 – Hasselt University, Belgium (co-teaching by Maastricht University)
♦ Legal English
♦ Law of the Sea, Environmental Law, International Criminal Law, Human Rights, Feminist Jurisprudence, Globalization-related issues, Development Studies and Public Policy.
♦ Human Rights, Democratization, Development, Globalization, Environmental Law, International Criminal Law
♦ 2008-2012 – at Maastricht University and Erasmus University, Rotterdam Right to Health and International Trade
- Yale Law School – Lillian Goldman Scholarship for 2004/5
- University of Colombo Scholarship for First in Laws for 1999-2000
- Public International Law – Globalization/Internationalization and Development(Human Rights, Trade/WTO, Environment, International Criminal Law, Humanitarian Law, Intellectual Property Law, Law of the Sea, Gender Issues, Child Rights)
- Law and Literature
- The Legal Challenge to the Intellectual Property Bill of 2003: Patent Rights and Public Interest, Moot Point volume 7, 2003/4.
- Coauthored article with Liyanarachchi, H., Palihakkara, C. Safe Havens for Marine Life. Sri Lanka Journal of International Law, 2003
- Expanding Horizons: The International Law of the Sea and its significance for Sri Lanka.
Moot Point, Volume 6, 2002/3.
- The Necessity of Integrating Environmental Ethics into Legal Education, full paper published in the Conference Proceedings of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association South Asia Regional Conference 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 26th-28th June 2008.
- Mendis, N., A Legal Obligation to Report Child Sexual Abuse?- A Review of National and International Standards, Sir General John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU) International Research Symposium, 2015,Presented on 28th August 2015, full paper to be published.
- Mendis, N., Integrating Human Rights into W.T.O. Law: Translation and ‘Bilingualism, Open University of Sri Lanka, Annual Academic Sessions 2013. Presented and full paper published in the proceedings 27th November 2013.
- Mendis, N., Effectiveness of Personal Weblogs (Blogs) as a Tool for Teaching and learning in Law Courses., 9th SDC-SLAIHEE Joint Annual Conference on “Creative use of Technology to Enhance Student-Centered Learning”, 2013. The Abstract was presented on 28th June 2013 published in the Conference Proceedings
- Mendis, N., Challenges in Maintaining and Extending Sri Lanka’s Record on Health – with special reference to international trade in services, Sir General John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU) International Research Symposium, 2013. Presented on 23rd August 2013, full paper published.
- Mendis, N., Samaratne, D., Dawood, S. and H. Rathnamalala, Perceiving Perceptions: A Study on the Perceptions of Undergraduates in Law on the Relevance of Gender on Roles in Legal Education and within the Legal Profession, April 2008, presented at the Eleventh National Convention on Women’s Studies, April 4th-7th 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Full Paper was printed and distributed by the organizers at the Convention
- Sellin, J., and Mendis, N., Women’s Right to Health and International Trade – Special reference to the GATS and TRIPS Agreements in Ingrid Westerndorp Ed., THE WOMEN’S CONVENTION TURNED 30, Intersentia, 2012.
- Mendis, N., The Legal Challenge to the Intellectual Property Bill of 2003: Patent Rights and Public Interest, Moot Point volume 7, 2003/4.
- Mendis, N., Liyanarachchi, H., Palihakkara, C. Safe Havens for Marine Life. Sri Lanka Journal of International Law, 2003
- Mendis, N., Expanding Horizons: The International Law of the Sea and its significance for Sri Lanka. Moot Point, Volume 6, 2002/3