General Convocation 2022- Faculty of Law, University of Colombo
The Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo – the premier seat of legal education in the country and the highest ranked university in Sri Lanka – had its General Convocation for graduands passing out in the year 2020 on the 24th of July, 2022 at the Bandaranayake International Memorial Conference Hall.
The ceremony was a colorful, well-attended and highly celebrated event which marked one of the most memorable days in the graduates’ lives. After being delayed on several occasions due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the ensuing difficulties that flowed after, this day of dreams finally became a reality.
The event was attended by the Dean of the Faculty of Law, Prof. (Dr.) Nishantha Sampath Punchihewa and by many academics of the three Departments of the Faculty of Law. Around 250 undergraduate students were awarded the Degree of Bachelor of Laws at the ceremony whilst many awards and prices were also handed out to undergraduates who excelled at their studies as well as students who showed all-around merit during their four years of stay at the Faculty.
The following students of the faculty were awarded Gold Medals and Prizes for their outstanding performances:
- Chief Justice H.N.G. Fernando Memorial Prize for Constitutional Law II – T. S. Gunawardana
- Justice Mark Fernando Prize for Administrative Law – M. M. K. Cooray
- Julius & Creasy Prize for Tax Law – S. Vishakan
- Walter & Judith Pinto Memorial Gold Medal for Public International Law – S. M. M. P. B. Samarakoon
- The Visualingam & Rajakunam Buvanasundaram Memorial Gold Medal for Bachelor of Laws, Year IV – T. S. Gunawardana
- Shinya Prize in Laws – T. S. Gunawardana
- Sir Ponnambalam Arunachalam Memorial Prize – T. S. Gunawardana
- Selvakkumaran Award for Jurisprudence – F. A. Ismail
- Kanaganayagam Kanag-Isvaran Prize for Company Law – P. G. R. Sakunthala
- Selvakkumaran Award for the Most Outstanding Student of the Faculty of Law – V. G. E. S. W. Dissanayake
Open Awards – 2022 were awarded to the following students of the Faculty of Law for their performance at the University level:
- P. P. Samarasekara Peace Prize – P. A. P. Dayawansa
- Canekeratne Prize for General Merit – V. G. E. S. W. Dissanayake
The Faculty of Law waits in anticipation to see how its students utilize the skills they have received and the knowledge they have garnered through their four years at the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo, in building a better tomorrow for their country. We do not have a doubt in our minds that they would go on to achieve great heights in the years to come.